Six people escaped a fire in a Macon boarding house on Sunday morning.
Captain Stephanie Burke with the Macon-Bibb Fire Dept. says the boarding home's owner is in the process of moving the tenants to a new house.
The fire happened around 5 a.m. at 160 Lamar St. That's off Vineville Avenue.
Around 6:30 a.m., flames were still shooting through the roof, which collapsed.
It took the Macon-Bibb Fire Department more than an hour to put out the fire, and the house now appears destroyed.
Assistant Fire Chief Cliff Rushin told 13WMAZ's Candace Hollingshed that six people lived in the boarding house, and they all made it out safely.
One man told us he awoke to smoke in the house and quickly rushed out.
James Walker lives in the neighborhood and says smoke from the fire was so thick that he couldn't see down the street.