Our network

Elderly couple dies after house fire | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Elderly couple dies after house fire
News

That strange feeling Mattie Peeples felt quickly turned to heartache when she realized her brother and sister-in-law's home right near hers was on fire.

Virginia Jones was bedridden, and Henry Jones suffered from Alzheimer's.

The couple was badly burned, and both were taken to the Augusta Burn Center.

Virginia died Sunday night.

According to Bibb County Coroner Leon Jones, her husband died early Monday afternoon.
Mattie Peoples says, beyond her grief are precious memories.

"It was a shock to us for them to have to leave us, but Virginia and Henry were just two people. I think everybody in Macon knew them, and the only things people could say about them were something that was good. Something about helping to make it better for other people," Peeples said.

J.D. Massey lived next to the Joneses for 30 years.

He said he couldn't have asked for better neighbors.

"They've always been just kind, sweet-hearted loving Christian people," Massey said. "They were very spiritual people. That's just who they were."

Peeples says though their death is tragic she says they died exactly how they lived: together.

"Then that's the way that they left here, and I can just hear her saying "i'm going on Henry, but I want you right behind me, and yes he did. He followed him right on," Peeples said.

News

Macon Deals

Upcoming Events near Macon

Community Sponsors

Complete auto body repairs,from minor dings to major crashes!