Man making Craigslist deal robbed in Macon | News
An Atlanta man came to Macon on Thursday to buy some wedding rings he saw on Craigslist.
Instead of leaving here with the rings, he left as a robbery victim.
The ring sellers told the man to meet him near the intersection of Rocky Creek Road and Pionono Avenue, according to a Bibb County Sheriff's Office news release.
When the victim saw the rings, he commented that they were not the same ones he saw on Craigslist. That's when one of the men pulled out a gun and demanded his money. After taking the money, they drove off in a silver 1980s model Toyota Camry that had damage on the driver's side, the news release states.
The incident took place at about 1:22 p.m.
The sheriff's office offered the following tips for anyone buying or selling items on Craigslist:
• Check out the seller's information. Ask for a phone number and address before arranging a meeting place.
• Ask as many questions as you can before going to buy the product. If the sellers can't answer your questions, there is a good chance they don't have the item they are selling.
• Don't buy from sellers who list only an e-mail address.
• Meet in a public, well-lit place like a coffee shop or cafe to ensure your safety.
• Never go to a second location that has not been agreed on.
• Don't travel by yourself.
• Show up to the meeting place early and scope out the area. If something seems out of place, trust your instincts and leave.
• If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Anyone with information about Thursday's robbery is asked to call the sheriff's office at 751-7500 or Macon Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-877-68CRIME.